18 December 2013 11:41

An autopsy indicated that a 27-year-old Romanian man found dead in his home in Xylofagou probably died from gas heater fumes as he tried to keep warm during bitterly cold weather.
Authorities believe the victim died of carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of breathing in fumes from a gas heater. A pending toxicological report will confirm this.
The foreign worker was found in his bed in an unconscious state by his flatmate at around 5pm on Sunday.
He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Police confirmed that a gas heater which had been running all night was found in the victim’s small bedroom.
State pathologist Nicolas Charalambous ruled out foul play but the death has prompted warnings from health experts over the dangers portable gas heaters pose.
Speaking to The Cyprus Daily, Nicosia cardiologist Marios Christofides advised members of the public to switch off gas heaters before going to sleep and to never leave them on overnight in small rooms.
“This is something very obvious but not everyone is aware that portable gas heaters consume oxygen at a very fast pace and expel carbon monoxide.”
The doctors added that anyone using a gas heater should always make sure there is a partially opened window in the room to allow oxygen in.
“Using a gas heater in a small room with no circulation is extremely dangerous and can easily lead to asphyxiation if you fall asleep.”
Meanwhile, police confirmed yesterday that toxicological testing will shed light on the death of a 35-year-old Greek national whose body was found in his house in Nicosia on Monday.
Concerned friends of the victim went to check on him in the evening after he failed to respond to their calls for a number of days. They called police to let them into his home and found the victim’s body. No signs of foul play were detected during the autopsy.


ShowBiz

Weather from k24.net

Radio Stations

CYPRUS MAP

Cyprus maps

City Centre Maps