The Bishopric of Constantia - Famagusta will hold a church service in the Church of Ayios Georgios (Exorinou) within the city walls of Famagusta this Sunday, from 7:30am to 10:30am. This is the second ceremony to be held in the past several weeks at a church which had remained inaccessible to Greek Orthodox for decades.
Last month's service had been the first in 56 years and was described as the largest gathering of Greek-Cypriot faithful in a service held in the occupied territories since 1974.
Sunday's Divine Liturgy will be officiated by Bishop of Constantia-Famagusta Vassilios and will be attended by the Mayor of Famagusta Alexis Galanos and members of the City Council.
The bishopric said that a mass will be carried out once a month at Agios Georgios (Exorino) Church of Famagusta. Buses will depart at 7.15am on Sundays from the Ayios Demetrios Church in Paralimni.
Ayios Georgios Eksorinos had been abandoned from 1957 because of an outbreak of inter-communal violence.
Famagusta Municipality and a Church committee have taken up the responsibility of holding services on a regular basis, with voluntary input from locals who want to see another rare piece of cultural heritage preserved and brought to religious life.
Ayios Georgios Eksorinos, an imposing structure of clear architectural influence, was built in the 14th century, during Venetian rule and has been turned into a concert hall. It's one of the better preserved churches in the occupied north but does however require extensive conservation work, due to humidity damage to the icons and frescoes.