NICOSIA – A day after Nicosia announced the drafting of a joint communiqué kick-starting the stalled Cyprus peace talks was close to agreement, Turkish Cypriot leader Dervis Eroglu said on Thursday that was not the case.
An announcement from his office in the Turkish-occupied north said there was not agreement and that he was only committed to a proposal put forward by Turkish foreign minister Ahmet Davutoglu in December.
The UN have been toiling for months on the wording of a 'joint statement' to restart reunification talks which broke off in mid-2012.
On Wednesday, government spokesman Christos Stylianides said in a written statement that "important consultations are underway related to drafting a final and substantive joint statement (highlighting the key principles of an overall solution)”.
But he also warned that “on Cyprus, things can be so close yet so far. A word can make all the difference”.
President Anastasiades briefs political parties on Thursday morning and is due to have consultations with the Greek government on Friday.