12 February 2014 10:30

Following a two hour work stoppage, Cypriot members of staff at the British Sovereign Bases staged a two hour work stoppage on Tuesday and said they will strike for 24 hours next Tuesday to protest austerity measures affecting some 1,000 workers.
Speaking to The Cyprus Daily, Sek-Peo union coordinator for the SBA Christos Tziapouras said: “If there are developments by then and the British bring their proposals to the negotiating table we will be happy to suspend the action.”
Tziapouras said that the cut-costing measures had not been discussed with unions representing the Cypriots employed at the Bases before being introduced.
“In an initial phase, the measures affect 600 people employed at the British Ministry of Defence and then also another 400 working at contracted companies which are guaranteed by the British government,” Tziapouras said.
The union representative continued that the measures had been introduced in spite of the British employees at the Bases enjoying a 1% pay rise and 95% of the workplaces no longer held by Cypriots being filled by dependents of the British military personnel.
“They seem to be making the Cypriots pay for the financial crisis.”
Speaking to the paper, a SBA spokesman said: “We regret their decision to strike but we recognise the rights of our employees to take industrial action.”




ShowBiz

Weather from k24.net

Radio Stations

CYPRUS MAP

Cyprus maps

City Centre Maps