LIMASSOL - An islanwide manhunt for a 63-year-old former convict continued on Friday for the second day with police concentrating the search around the island’s checkpoints to the north.
Limassol CID chief Yiannis Soteriades confirmed that police are continuing to evaluate reports of sightings of Andreas Onoufriou who is considered armed and extremely dangerous.
The fugitive has been at large since Thursday morning after he opened fire on police officers with an assault rifle as they attempted to raid his Limassol home following up on information he was in possession of firearms and loot from a string of recent bank robberies.
Speaking to the media after a police leadership meeting Friday morning police spokesman Andreas Angelides said the search is being conducted around the entire with a focus on check points and the houses of friends and relatives of Onoufriou.
Asked if officers have been authorised to use deadly force if necessary, Angelides said this would depend on the circumstances of the arrest.
He added that police have arrested Onoufriou’s Vietnamese partner who was found to be illegally residing in Cyprus.
“She is so far refusing to cooperate with the authorities.”
Members of the public have been warned not approach the fugitive under any circumstances. Authorities are urging anyone with information on Onoufriou’s whereabouts to notify Limassol police on 25 805 511, 25 805 054 or via the Citizen’s line: 1460.
Onoufriou received an 18 year jail sentence in 1996 for the attempted murder of a District Court judge. He was released in 2008 and sent back to prison in 2012 after being convicted in a plot to assassinate former attorney general Petros Clerides.