NICOSIA The son of recently convicted former minister Costas Papacostas has said any emotional shock could be fatal for his father as sentencing looms over the family.
Ex-defence minister Papacostas was found guilty last week of manslaughter while three fire chiefs were convicted of causing death through negligence linked to a munitions dump blast in Mari that killed 13 people in July 2011.
Papacostas was also found guilty of causing death through negligence, but the more serious charge of manslaughter carries a maximum sentence of life in prison. Ex-foreign minister Marcos Kyprianou and army deputy commander Savvas Argyrou were found not guilty on all charges by the Larnaca Criminal Court.
Upon being found guilty, Papacostas complained of feeling unwell and was rushed to Nicosia General Hospital where he is still being kept under observation by doctors while under police guard.
His son, Nicolas, says his father’s condition is delicate ahead of sentencing which is set to take place on July 24.
“The medicine is keeping him alive”, he said. “His blood pressure needs to stay low at all costs. Any shock could prove fatal. But at the moment, he is calm but disappointed with the verdict,” said Nicolas Papacostas. “We will use every legal channel available to appeal this decision both in and out of Cyprus.”