LIMASSOL - A large amount of smoke yesterday caused upheaval at Limassol General Hospital and two floors had to be evacuated.
The cause of the problem was the hospital’s generator which was in operation after a problem with the Cyprus Electricity Authority (EAC) transformer which suffered an oil leak and overheated.
The hospital’s director Chrysostomos Andronicou said authorities had been informed about the issue.
The Fire Service was on alert and management had given instructions to reduce electricity consumption by switching off the aircondioning system and other electrical equipment as well as washing and sterilising machines.
During the replacement of the transformer, smoke began coming out of the system near where the hospital’s files are kept.
The hospital’s two floors, including the Emergency Unit, were evacuated and the Fire Service went to the scene to check the situation.
Once it was confirmed that there was no danger of a fire, instructions were given to return patients and visitors inside the hospital.